Do you have a public defender's office?

The State of Maine operates a system of court-appointed attorneys rather than a public defender's office of the sort used by other states.

You must have a certain financial circumstances that allows the Court to deem you "indigent" to qualify for a court-appointed attorney. The charge(s) against you must have the potential of including a fine in excess of $500 or include some time in jail.

Show All Answers

1. Who can I talk to about my case?
2. Why can't the District Attorney's Office give me legal advice?
3. What are arraignments?
4. Why can't I talk with an Assistant District Attorney about my case before arraignment?
5. Why can't I have the police report before being arraigned?
6. Do you have a public defender's office?
7. I was just charged with an OUI (Operating Under the Influence of Alcohol or Drugs) charge. What will happen to me?
8. How do I get bail conditions changed?
9. Why can't I get information on a case with my son or daughter (over 18) /wife / husband / boyfriend / girlfriend?
10. Do I have to show up in court because I got a subpoena?
11. How can I drop charges?
12. How do I contact District Court or Superior Court?