I have been charged with a new crime. What will happen?

If you are charged with a new crime, you must report in writing (email is acceptable ) any new charges to: Cumberland County District Attorney Office Diversion Clerk for the Diversion and Rehabilitative Program 142 Federal St. Portland, ME 04101.  If you were represented by an attorney, you must also notify your attorney.

The police agency involved in the new crime will provide a copy of the report to the coordinator who will then provide it to the Assistant District Attorney working the case.

If the new case is charged, then the coordinator will complete a Motion to Terminate the Deferment and the court will issue a new court date. On that court date, the judge will hear from both parties and make a decision on the motion which may include a finding that there was a breach of the contract and an imposition of sentence on the case.

Show All Answers

1. What forms of payment are acceptable?
2. How do I pay my supervision fee?
3. How do I pay my restitution?
4. Do I need pre-approval for my community service hours?
5. Where can I do my community service work?
6. How do I access the Shoplifters Alternative Program?
7. I have been charged with a new crime. What will happen?
8. I met all of the conditions and reporting requirements. What will happen on my return to court date?
9. I do not have an attorney, who do I contact regarding my deferred disposition case?
10. How do I change my court date?