- American Rescue Plan Act
American Rescue Plan Act
Under the United States American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) of 2021, Cumberland County is issued $57,300,874 in recovery funds to replace lost revenues and respond to the COVID-19 pandemic. The payment is split into two tranches, with the first payment of $28,650,437 arriving in May 2021 and the second payment of an equal amount scheduled to arrive no sooner than May 2022.
ARPA funds must be obligated no later than December 31, 2024. Funds must be spent no later than December 31, 2026.
Further guidance on the use of ARPA funds is in the links below; but broadly, these funds can be spent in the following categories:
- Supporting the public health response
- Addressing negative economic impacts
- Replacing public sector revenue loss
- Premium pay for essential workers
- Water, sewer, broadband infrastructure
Funds can generally not be used for:
- Reducing taxes
- Depositing extraordinary funds into a pension account
- Certain non-federal matches
- Debt Service
- Legal Settlements
- Rainy Day Funds
- Infrastructure outside of water/sewer/broadband, or revenue loss to infrastructure projects
- General economic development or workforce development unless related to the pandemic
- The Interim Final Rules from Department of Treasury
- Guidance from National Association of Counties on allowable uses @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Agendas of Commissioner Meetings where ARPA was discussed
The following is Cumberland County's process for determining use of ARPA funds:
- Identify County needs - May/June 2021
- Cumberland County staff will perform an audit of losses to Cumberland County
- County staff will identify further response measures necessary to the COVID-19 pandemic
- Identify short term qualified regional needs and issues - Summer/Fall 2021
- Open public comment through County web site
- Meetings with municipal leadership, state legislators
- Meetings with industry experts and service providers
- Meetings with Maine State department leadership
- Public meeting(s) for comment to County Commissioners
- Identify medium-long term regional needs and issues - Ongoing
- Continue to seek input from stakeholders on further investment
- Continue to seek public comment through web portal
- Continue to update and seek input from County Commissioners in public meetings
Opportunities to Provide Comment
Public Comment Window: Open Now
Residents and interested parties can submit written comment through an online survey. This portal will remain open throughout the period that American Rescue Plan funds are available in Cumberland County.
- Public Forum - June 23, 2021, 7 p.m.
- Cumberland County held an online public forum on Wednesday, June 23, 2021. To view the public forum: https://cumberlandcounty.org/live
- Public Workshop - August 9, 2021, 5:30 p.m.
- Cumberland County held a workshop in the Peter Feeney Conference Room to discuss the American Rescue Plan - Performance Plan on Monday, August 9, 2021. The public was welcome to attend the event however they were not allowed to participate. To view the agenda: Workshop Agenda.
- Maine Municipal Survey
- Click here to view a recent survey conducted by the Maine Municipal Association among towns and cities in Maine, identifying critical needs.