911 Public Education
9-1-1 Public Education
The Cumberland County Regional Communications Center has a Public Education Team that serves our Public Safety agencies and the citizens of Cumberland County. Our professional 9-1-1 staff members enjoy traveling to many of our schools, community fairs, businesses, hospitals and other public events to help educate the public on 9-1-1. Our goal for the Public Education Program is to successfully teach children and adults what to do in the event that they have an emergency and need to call 9-1-1.
Our Team consists of many dedicated and knowledgeable Emergency Public Safety 9-1-1 dispatchers. We are able to answer questions to help the public better understand what we do, how we do it and provide a 9-1-1 Simulator experience designed for children grades K-4.
Our 9-1-1 Simulator allows children to actually dial 9-1-1 on a telephone and answer pre-recorded questions. These questions are similar to what they would be asked should they ever have to call for help in the future. Through the use of our 9-1-1 Simulator and having our trained dispatchers on location for the events, we strive for both children and adults to leave having more knowledge of what to expect if they have to call 9-1-1.
- The importance of knowing your home address and phone number
- The location of the emergency – the emergency might not always be at your home, the dispatcher will need to be provided the actual location of the emergency
- Examples of emergencies – Ex. House fire, car crash, burglary
- Text to 9-1-1
- Code Red
- Elementary School 9-1-1 Simulator experience
Our Team has recently started attending local job fairs to help recruit those who may have an interest in public safety. By attending job fairs, we are able to better explain to those interested in public safety what all of the tasks are that come with being a 9-1-1 Communications Officer
How to Reach Out to the Team:
- E-mail at 911_Public_Ed@cumberlandcounty.org
- Phone by calling Cumberland County’s non-emergency line at 207-893-2810 ext 1057 and leave a message for a 9-1-1 Public Education Team Member
- Public Education Team Members:
- 9-1-1 Public Education Coordinator Brynn O'Connor
- Director Melinda Fairbrother-Dyer
- Deputy Director Deb Plummer
- Sam King
- Kayla Boyd