Requirements for Recording Land Documents
- Must have a prepared document with original signatures and notary (Maine notary must include an acknowledgement statement).
- Names(s) of each signer (individuals, corporations, trusts etc.) must be printed beneath signature line.
- Deeds must be accompanied by a declaration of value form (transfer tax form) and transfer tax, if tax is due.
- Documents must be legible when scanned for the permanent record.
- A tax of $4.40 per thousand is imposed upon the sale, granting, or transfer of real estate and interest therein.
- An exemption from the transfer tax must be clearly stated on the declaration of value form.
- Click here to access the Transfer Tax Form and instructions.