Protection From Abuse Orders

If you are in immediate danger, call 911! 

Obtaining a Protection Order
To obtain a Protection From Abuse (PFA) or Protection From Harrassment (PFH) order you must first visit your local court, and follow the procedures set forth by that court.

Serving a PFA or PFH Order
Your court may direct you to have a Deputy of the Cumberland County Sheriff's Office serve your PFA or PFH. You will need to bring in or mail the paperwork to be served to the Cumberland County Sheriff's Office at:
36 County Way
Portland, ME 04102-2755

Our deputies will attempt to serve the order immediately upon receipt, and before the court date. If the order cannot be served before the court date, the order will be returned to the court.

Informational Resources
Here are some resources that may be able to help you through this process:
If this is not an emergency you can call the Maine Department of Health and Human Services' Adult Protective Hot Line at 800-624-8404.